Tuesday, November 20, 2012

just subway sandwiches...

one year ago today i was sitting on the couch
when this subway commercial came on
here's how the conversation went - 

(the following is a dramatic reenactment...
in my head the role of hk is played by helen hunt...
i'm sure in hk's head i am ryan gosling...)

me: i guess i have to share all my sandwiches with you now???
hk: what are you talking about???
me: well now that you are my girlfriend i have to share my food with you...
hk: ummm i don't remember you ever asking me to be your girlfriend...
me: seriously???  i have to ask???  like we are in 7th grade???
(of course, since our first kiss, i had already been planning our 50th anniversary party in my head)
hk: yup!!!

and the rest 
as they say
is history...

this past year has been the most amazing, wonderful, challenging and inspiring year of my life...

the amount of shoes i own has doubled...  from 2 pair to 4...
it has been 324 days since my last cigarette...
i have cut down, WAY down, on my drinking...
i can now pair a button down, collared shirt with a sweater...
i own a brown belt...
i have learned that when hk says she's going to buy a couch - shut up and get the old one out of the way - because it's happening...
i have learned patience...  kind of...
i have gained some amazing friends and family...  i could put this on the list a million times...
i saw neil diamond in chicago...
random phone calls about the hatfields and mccoys is to be expected...
i have started running...
i am (attempting) to lose weight...
i am eating food that's actually good for me...
i wake up with a smile on my face...
(in my best justin timberlake voice) she's brought my silly back...
i am in the process of learning when to just shut up...
using 2 new towels every day is perfectly acceptable...
i've learned that you never really know what is going on in hk's head...
we are peas and carrots...
the list could go on and on and on and on...
all of these things have been because of hk...
people tend to think that hk is changing me...
that i'm making all of these changes FOR her...
when in reality, i'm making them BECAUSE of her...
that line in as good as it gets - 
when jack nicholson says "you make me want to be a better man"
that's how i feel...
not the man part...
just better...
i hope that at our 50 anniversary party i still get butterflies in my stomach when she walks in the room...
but the best, most wonderful thing that has come out of all of this
is i have learned what
real, honest, unconditional, for always and the rest of ever love is...



1 comment:

Ms. Thomas said...

ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT PIZZA ROLLS ARE OUT??? I love that hk. :)

And I am uber proud of you for the no smoking in 324 days.